Thursday, December 17, 2009

Final Post- Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Keeping Faith is a suspenseful story about a little girl named Faith who suffers through the traumatic divorce of her parents. Through this experience Faith finds God, or what some might think is just an imaginary friend, and she develops stigmata. A month after the divorce, Faith's father comes back for full custody, and claims that Mariah White, Faith's mother, is hurting Faith. Faith is caught in the middle, wanting to be with and loved by both of her parents.
In the end Faith ended up right where I wanted her. The main theme of this book is faith and how you most hold on to it to get what you want and need. Overall I enjoyed this this book, because it was interesting to see where Faith ended up, and how things that happen all the time, like divorce, affect a child's life. I also liked the book because it forced me to pick a side, and made my mind wonder about the things that happened. I also had to ask myself, was Faith seeing god? Does Mariah White deserve custody of Faith? And is Mariah White insane for believing her daughter is seeing god? In the end I came to the conclusion that Mariah White is a strong character who will stick up and protect her daughter even if there is a restraining order keeping her from Faith.

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that it took a conflict to push Faith to a God. Faith seems fairly young and may be replacing a traditional imaginary friend with someone who has the "power" to help her. Is her faith an act of desperation to find hope? Or do the effects of the divorce cause her to find a coping mechanism?

    ReplyDelete