Friday, March 19, 2010

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls



The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is honestly one of the best books I have read all year. I was captivated all throughout the memoir, and I found myself thinking about the story during the day, even when I was not reading it. While growing up Jennette and her siblings lived hectic lives, moving from place to place and at some points, they suffered from hunger. Jeannette's father is a naturally brilliant tough man, who ruins his life and hurts his family by indulging in large amounts of liquor daily. Through all of this, the Walls children exceeded in being a tight knit group, who always tried to do the best by each other.
The significance of this story is to stick together, even when things become harder than you can imagine. Also no matter where you come from and how you live (poor or rich) you can reach the top and become a successful being. The Glass Castle is all about following you dreams and doing what you believe in, and what makes you happy.
In relation to the whole book the ending was good, but no match for the rest of the book. I do think it was a great way to end the story, with everyone back together reminiscing on past memories.
I enjoyed this book more the I have for any other book this year. All though I cannot imagine going through what Jeannette Walls and her family went through, I felt as if I was right there with her. Jeannette Walls wrote with voice, making her writing extremely effective at making you feel right there in the story.

2 comments:

  1. Cindy, this blog post just made me want to read The Glass Castle (perhaps I will this coming break). I found it interesting that the message from this story is to stick together, and no matter what your current position in society is, you can always move up. Which makes me think about the reasons behind success, and why people work so hard (physically,emotionally etc), and the efforts of humans to make a lasting impact on the world.
    This contemplation bring me to one question: what is your definition of successful? Being financially secure? Or do you see it as something as simple as having a loving family?

    P.S Was writing "indulging in large amounts of liquor daily" code for alcoholic?

    ReplyDelete